In the past, people might have gotten a decent job with just a high school diploma, but let’s face it, the times have changed and keep changing faster and faster as the college degree today has become the high school diploma of the past. This makes going to college today and getting a degree to be a requirement for you to get a job and live a successful and prosperous life. It is obvious that in today’s ever increasing global competitive world, you can’t afford to not get your college degree and here are 5 reasons why.
1. Salary– With a college degree you open yourself up to obtaining jobs that pay more. Who doesn’t want to make more money? According to the February 2010 Bureau of Labor Statistics (http://www.bls.gov/), a person with an associate’s degree makes 27% more in salary than someone without this degree. For example, someone with just a high school diploma only made $26,000 a year. A person with an associate’s degree made $33,000 a year.
2. Promotion– with a college degree you open yourself up to more promotions in moving up in a company or organization. You can work hard and be awesome at your job, but without the credentials of having a degree, you may never be promoted.
3. Job Security- Let’s face it, this past recession has showed us that no one’s job is secure. Having a college degree can make you more competitive and make the company or organization you work for not afford to lose you. And, the degree stays with you forever and no one can ever take it away from you! Each degree you receive allows you to work on another degree: associates-bachelors-masters-doctorate, thus making you more in demand and having even more job security.
4. Holistic Happiness– Having a college degree will make you happier in all areas of your life, professionally, academically, physically, emotionally, personally, and even spiritually. It will give you the confidence and tools to be able to do anything you want in life. It basically helps prepare you for life. It helps you improve your overall critical thinking skills which helps you always make better life decisions. Please read my previous blog post on critical thinking skills: http://www.associatedegreeonline.com/2011/09/critical-thinking-skills-for-online-students/
5. Networking- While in college and getting your degree, you will be exposed to so many different people. These people can help you better network and make the life connections you need to find your first job, find future jobs, and be successful. Many very famous and successful people met in college and went on to do great things. Will you be one of them? Bill Gates and Steve Ballmer met in college and went on to create Microsoft.
Can you think of any other reasons why you can’t afford to NOT get your degree? Please let me know via twitter @onlinefac
Stay tuned until next week when I blog on another innovative topic in online education!